Friday, January 11, 2013

Say yes to Michigan

If you were hankering for a new city to dwell in where would you go? Lets say that, specifically, you were looking for a place to urbstead with lots of alternative charm, new business models and people willing to take interesting risks. Throw in a low cost of living and a waterfront for the view. You could easily assume I'm talking about Portland, Oregon, but while the capitol of hipsters does make my top five I have been dreaming of Detroit lately. Deh-twah, Motor City. Something about the burnt-out charm, and the evident spunk of those who've stayed or been drawn in to rebuild the core of the city. I wouldn't hardly mind being a part of all that.

If I had my druthers I'd get a house and lot or three by paying attention to what these guys are doing. Then I'd settle in with a color garden and a few fiber animals. Though I'd hardly be the first to think of urban farming there. Or how photogenic a city on the verge can be.

 
 

No comments: